Canada COVID travel restrictions
Canada COVID travel restrictions impacting business aviation
All data shown below is for U.S. passengers travelling from the U.S. (14-day clean travel history). For all other mission scenarios, contact Universal Trip Support. Ask your Universal Trip Support team for a Feasibility Guide to get detailed intelligence for your destination of interest.
Travelers from variant virus hotspots – Many countries are restricting entry for travelers who have visited a variant virus hotspot, including the UK, Brazil, and South Africa. Travelers from neighboring countries may also be restricted.
June 17, 2021
- Accessible to U.S. passengers: Yes
- Types of flights allowed: Business, Humanitarian/Cargo, Tech Stops, Medevac
- Pre-Approval for Entry Required: No
- COVID-19 Pre-Testing for Arrival Required: Yes, a molecular test 72 hours prior to scheduled departure time.
- Assuming No Symptoms, COVID-19 Testing Upon/After Arrival): YES (See Details/Notes Section)
- Pre-Departure COVID-19 Test Required? Yes
- Health / Entry Forms Required for Crew/Pax (If yes, what forms)?: No
- Assuming No Symptoms, Quarantine Required: Yes, if overnighting
- COVID-19 Vaccine Required: Vaccinated Americans are not exempt from quarantine.
- Canada has this online tool to help you assess if you can enter the country.
- Canada to Ease Restrictions on Returning Residents – It was announced that fully vaccinated citizens and residents returning to Canada will be exempt from quarantine in early July. The official regulatory update is still pending.
- Airport Funneling in Effect – All international passenger flights, including those from the U.S., are required to enter Canada through one of the following four funneling airports: CYYZ/Toronto, CYVR/Vancouver, CYUL/Montreal, and CYYC/Calgary. Medevac, ferry and crew repatriation flights, cargo-only flights, and tech stops where no passengers disembark are exempt.
- Mandatory 3-Day Quarantine in Gov’t Sanctioned Hotel – All air travelers arriving in Canada, with very limited exceptions, must reserve a room in a Government of Canada-approved hotel for three nights at their own cost, and take a COVID-19 molecular test on arrival at their own cost. Travelers will need to book a hotel in the city in which they first arrive in Canada: Vancouver, Calgary, Toronto or Montreal. Bookings can’t be made directly with the hotel. Prepare for high call volume.
- Vaccinated Americans and vaccinated Canadians are not exempt from quarantine.
- Canada’s airlines are slowly starting to resume flight services to/from Mexico, Costa Rica, and the Caribbean. Check each airline’s website for published schedules.
- Officials in Canada extended a ban on entry for most nonresident foreign nationals until further notice as part of the measures to curb the spread of coronavirus disease (COVID-19).
- All airline passengers from abroad aged 5 years and over must present a negative PCR test taken up to 72 hours before departure to Canada. Persons with a negative PCR test result and who are authorized to enter Canada must still complete the mandatory 14-day self-quarantine.
- As of Nov. 21, travelers will be required to submit contact and quarantine information via ArriveCAN app. Fines of $1,000 CAD may be placed upon any traveler for not complying.
- Restrictions on non-essential travel for USA/Canada/Mexico remain in place until June 21, 2021. CANPASS / CBSA (CANADA) is by far the most stringent enforcer of this policy in regards to air travel.
- Flights from the U.S. are being allowed on a case-by-case basis. Some are getting through without issue; others are getting denied. Canada is very strict on vetting “essential” vs. “non-essential” travel between the U.S. and Canada. Best practice is to gather all relevant documentation (e.g., travel history, medical declarations, purpose of flight, etc.) and seek approval from CANPASS well in advance. Canada is still restricting entry to 4 ports. Consult with us for any planned mission.
- Note that Canada has very strict quarantine requirements for anyone entering the country. Active crew are exempt but need to follow these contact collection guidelines.