Japan Ops Update – New mandatory luggage inspections and expansion of domestic ops permit
Early in 2020, Japan announced increased security inspections of luggage of arrival/departing private jet passengers as well as an expansion for domestic operation permits.
Here’s what you need to know.
1. New mandatory luggage inspections for private jet passengers
Effective Jan. 6, 2020, Japan’s Transport Ministry ordered security inspections of luggage of a specific size for departing private jet passengers at some airports.
Note: There is no official document issued from the ministry regarding this rule at this stage. This article will be updated when and if an official notice is published.
Previously, passenger luggage inspections on private jets were only conducted at the request of the flight crew. Large luggage over a specific size (as determined by duty officers) will now be inspected at the following airports.
- Narita International Airport (RJAA)
- Haneda Airport (RJTT)
- Kansai International Airport (RJBB)
- Chubu Centrair International Airport (RJGG)
- Kobe Airport (RJBE)
- Nagoya Airport (RJNA)
2. Expansion of Allowance for Domestic Operation Permit
Effective Jan. 1, 2020, Japan announced an expansion of allowance for domestic ops permits.
- Schedule changes and permit tolerance:
- Old rule: Permit changes were previously only allowed within -24 hours / +72 hours from the approved ETA and ETD
- New rule: Changes are now allowed within -1 day / +3 days from the approved operation dates
- Allowance for flight route
- Old rule: Flight route for domestic ops need to be followed as approved
- New rule: The flight route is now changeable as long as the operator is using the approved airports. For example: Approved [KIAH-RJTT-RJBB-RJTT-KIAH] legs can be operated as [KIAH-RJBB-RJTT-KIAH] without permit revision
- Allowance for setting alternate airports
- Old rule: Setting alternate airports was not allowed
- New rule: Setting alternate airports is now possible “within reason.” Note: JCAB has not indicated the max number of alternate airports allowed.
Note: Airport coordination (slots/parking/CIQ/ground handling) needs to be confirmed apart from domestic operation permits for all airports.
Japan has enacted several changes in 2020 and will be starting mandatory inspections of private jet passenger luggage at several airports. Japan has also expanded the allowance for domestic ops permits, adding a bit more flexibility.