Shinzo Abe Japan State Funeral: Business Aviation Planning Guide
Japan announced that on Sept. 27, 2022, the country would hold a state funeral for assassinated former Japanese Prime Minister Shinzo Abe at the Nippon Budokan in central Tokyo. The event is expected to draw a large contingent of international dignitaries and is expected to impact business aviation operations to the country.
If you’re planning to attend the funeral or operate to Japan during this period, here’s what you need to know. We will keep this article updated as new information is released and official requirements are published.
Prior events provide a framework of potential traffic
Japan Civil Aviation Bureau (JCAB) has not yet released the number of state/charter VIP aircraft expected to visit Japan for the funeral. Based on history, including the 2019 Emperor’s Enthronement and the funeral of former Prime Minister Keizo Obuchi in 2000, approximately 150 state/charter VIP aircraft is likely.
Likely airspace restrictions
The following is our best “guess” for airspace restrictions based on similar previous events. We will update this once the official restrictions are published.
- Likely Restriction Period: From 26 September 2022 0000JST to 30 September 2022 0000JST
- Likely Restriction Zone: 25nm radius of the imperial palace (35°42’ 1”N, 139°45’ 15”N)
- Exceptions: Aircraft engaged in the security of this airspace or aircraft specially-approved by ATC to enter this airspace.
For details on current airspace restrictions for Japan, check our Feasibility-IQ app.
Confirmed airport restrictions
General Aviation aircraft will be restricted at RJTT from Sept. 24-30th. Parking and slots can be applied for during the following periods:
- 26SEP 0000LCL to 28SEP 2359LCL ：Not available.
- ※For operation after 29SEP 0000LCL, it is available to apply for the slots/parking before one day or on the day although availability needs to be checked.
For details on current restrictions for any airport in Japan, check our Feasibility-IQ app.