Operating to the 2019 UEFA Champions League Final in Madrid
The 2019 Union of European Football Associations (UEFA) Champions League Final will be held June 1, 2019 in Madrid. The match is one of the most popular sporting events in the world and is expected to draw a high volume of business aviation traffic to the city. The anticipated number of business jets that will be operating to Madrid for the match is expected to create congestion at the city’s lone business airport, Barajas (LEMD).
If you’re planning on attending the event, or plan to be in Madrid during this period, it is important to begin planning now as ground services are already booking up fast.
In addition, we strongly suggest you work with an experienced Trip Support Provider and Ground Support Team to mitigate the risks of something going wrong during this high-congestion period.
Here’s what you need to know:
1. About the UEFA Champions League Final
The UEFA Champions League Final is the championship match of Europe’s premier club football tournament organized by UEFA. The match has high stakes, as the winner will also earn the right to play against the winners of the 2018–19 UEFA Europa League in the 2019 UEFA Super Cup. They will also automatically qualify for the 2019–20 UEFA Champions League group stage.
You can follow the tournament’s official social media channels:
2. Date and Venue
The final match will take place Saturday June 1, 2019 at 21:00 CET at Madrid’s Estadio Metropolitano. The stadium is located less than five kilometers from LEMD.
3. The Teams – and how this impacts your planning
UPDATE 5/09/19: Final teams are known: Tottenham Hotspur (England) v Liverpool (England)
The final two teams will be determined this week. As with most major sporting events, there will be a mass rush to arrange services when the final two teams are known—as owners, sponsors and fans all start making their arrangements. For scheduling purposes, try to get ahead of this as soon as possible.
Similarly, as 2 of the 4 remaining teams drop out while trying to advance to the Final, there will be some cancellations, which will create limited opportunities to snatch up spots for hotels, ground transportation, and more.
4. General operating guidelines for LEMD
LEMD operates 24 hours a day. Peak hours of airline operations are 0700 – 1100 and 1200 – 1400 local, but this does not affect GA operations, as there are four runways available. Slots are required at LEMD and will be in high demand for this event, so it’s essential to plan ahead.
For more details on operating to LEMD, read our Business Jet Destination Guide for Madrid.
5. Special considerations for this event
Currently, there are no special restrictions in place for this event.
- UPDATE 5/10/19: Special slot allocation rules are in effect May 30-June 3 at LEMD, with May 15 being the deadline for slot requests.
- UPDATE 5/10/19: Time on ground will be limited to 4 hours on May 30-31
- The GAT is currently undergoing a remodel, but all construction will be paused during the Final so as to not interrupt traffic. All main and shared areas of the GAT are expected to be completed by June 1.
- Many third-party services such as ground transportation, catering and hotels are reporting near capacity for this event. As mentioned above, reservations will drop off, but new ones will be made quickly in their place. Your trip support provider or ground support provider may have open hotel blocks and ground transportation providers reserved already, so it worth asking! We typically hold a limited number for events of this size.
If you have experience operating into Madrid, the environment is going to be more challenging than you are used to because of the congestion. We strongly recommend working with an experienced Trip Support Provider and Ground Support Team to mitigate risks of something going wrong.
At Universal, we have the expertise and resource to make your trip to the 2019 UEFA Champions League Final a success. Request a free trip cost estimate to get started.