Operating to Beijing During 2019 China Development Forum
Update: This blog has been updated with new information on Feb. 25, 2019.
The annual China Development Forum (CDF) 2019 will be taking place March 23-25, 2019 in Beijing. Whether you’re planning to attend or will be in the region, you need to begin planning now, as this is a high-traffic business aviation event, making it difficult to obtain services and parking at Beijing Capital International Airport (ZBAA).
Here’s what you need to know:
1. What is the China Development Forum?
Last year, more than 80 high-profile world business leaders attended the event. This year’s event is expected to draw the same.
2. How does this impact operating to Beijing (ZBAA)?
Due to the high number of business jets attending CDF, parking and services may be extremely limited at the airport throughout the duration of the conference. We recommend you start making arrangements now to secure the best options.
Our Universal Aviation China team is working closely with local authorities to determine the best aircraft parking solutions and staying up-to-date with the latest restrictions regarding this event. For the latest information, or help setting up services, please contact Universal Aviation China.
3. Will there be special restrictions for operating to ZBAA?
At this time, Chinese Civil Aviation (CAAC) has not made any official announcements or released any NOTAMs. Below is a summary of the restrictions issued by CAAC in 2018 for an idea of what it might institute this year: 1. Permits: CAAC would not issue arrival or departure permits for ZBAA from March 22-27 to operations not attending CDF. 2. Invitation Letter: If you are attending CDF, CAAC required all permit requests to be accompanied by a conference notice or invitation letter confirming attendance. Otherwise, CAAC will not process the permit for the flight. If you have an invitation letter to CDF2019, we recommend you provide it to your ground handler when making your arrangements. This way, if restrictions are imposed, your handler will already have the paperwork it needs.
UPDATE: As of Feb. 25, 2019, ZBAA Airport Authority has issued a NOTAM with the following restrictions:
- Business jets which are not coming for events (CDF, NPC, CPPCC) must leave before 27FEB 2400LT/1600Z.
- Business jets which are not coming for events are not allowed to park overnight during 01MAR 0000LT/28FEB 1600Z-03MAR 2400LT/1600Z, 13MAR 0000LT/12MAR 1600Z -17MAR 2400LT/1600Z. (except low fuel condition, ambulance flight and emergency situation)
- Business jets which are coming for events are the priority flights from 28FEB 0000LT/ 27FEB 1600Z to 17MAR 2400LT/1600Z.
- Business jets which are not coming for events are not allowed to park over 24hrs after 26FEB 1200LT/0400Z. (Rental parking is not available for this duration)
- Business jets (G650 and larger) which are not coming for events are not allowed to park overnight after 26FEB 1200LT/0400Z.
- Invitation Letter: If you are attending CDF, CAAC required all permit requests to be accompanied by a conference notice or invitation letter confirming attendance. Otherwise, CAAC will not process the permit for the flight.
CDF2019 is going to be a highly-attended event, making it difficult to obtain parking and slots at ZBAA unless you plan ahead. Other third-party resources may be in high demand. Confirm your plans now and make sure you have an invitation letter to the conference or you will not be allowed to use ZBAA during the immediate time before, during and after the event.