COVID Vaccine Passport Programs by Country: Quarantine and Testing exemptions
COVID vaccine passport programs exempting travelers from quarantine and, sometimes, testing, have been adopted by countries around the world. Here are the countries currently which currently have vaccine passport programs in place and information on those that are coming soon.
Insight: Proof of Vaccination vs Recovery – While some countries are allowing proof of recovery as an entry requirement option, proof of vaccination is the more straightforward option, with less risk of denial. Generally speaking, the validity period for proof of recovery has a shorter expiration date than vaccination, and that validity period varies by country. There can also be nuances in the regulations that put more restrictions on the recovered vs. vaccinated (e.g., business vs leisure restrictions).
Countries with vaccine restriction exemptions
The following countries have already implemented programs exempting vaccinated travelers from certain exemptions. This list will change rapidly, so please always consult with your team for the latest information.
Note: In general, vaccine passports and exemptions are effective two weeks from the date of the second shot. (As we learn more about requirements for the 1-shot vaccine, we will update this). For all countries, proof of vaccination is required upon arrival.
- American Samoa – Testing and quarantine not required with proof of vaccination.
- Anguilla – Vaccine is required for entry effective July 1, 2021. Testing and quarantine still required but length of quarantine is reduced with proof of vaccine.
- Antigua & Barbuda – Quarantine not required unless specifically requested by authorities with vaccine.
- Austria –Effective 01 July 21, U.S. travelers will be allowed to enter Austria as tourists. No test or quarantine required with proof of vaccine.
- Bahamas – Effective 06 Aug all travelers vaccinated and unvaccinated will require a rapid antigen or PCR 5 days prior to arrival with a negative test result including adults, 12 and older, 2-11 with only exemption of those 2 and under. No quarantine required with proof of vaccine.
- Bahrain – Effective 26 May 21, passengers who have not been in a red list country (Pakistan, India, Sri Lanka, Nepal, or Bangladesh) within 14 days of arrival AND who can prove they are fully vaccinated and have received the vaccine from the UK, a member state of the EU, the US, Australia, New Zealand, South Korea, Japan, Singapore, or Canada are exempt from quarantine and a pre-departure PCR test. They will still have to take the test on arrival and self-quarantine until they receive the results (usually within 24 hour). Travelers from Gulf Cooperation Council Countries are exempt from testing and quarantine with proof of vaccine.
- Bangladesh – No quarantine required with proof of second dose of Pfizer or AstraZeneca vaccine.
- Barbados – Effective May 8, 2021, vaccinated travelers will no longer be required to quarantine. Testing before and on arrival still required.
- Belgium – Travelers originating from Green zone (USA) with proof of a vaccine certificate approved by EMA, including USA CDC, is exempt from pre-arrival Covid-19 test.
- Belize – No quarantine or test required with proof of vaccine.
- Bermuda – Pre-arrival COVID test is needed, vaccination card, travel authorization, test on arrival (quarantine until results are known – about 24 hours) and then can move around.
- British Virgin Islands – Effective May 15, immunized travelers will be tested on arrival. Once arrival test result is known, immunized traveler will be exempt from 7-day quarantine.
- Bulgaria – U.S. persons are permitted effective May 1 as long as they show a vaccination card (14 days must pass since the last dose) or proof of recovery along with a negative PCR test obtained 72 hours prior to arrival or an antigen test obtained 48 hours prior to arrival.
- Cayman Islands – Quarantine can be reduced from 14 to 10 days with proof of vaccine.
- Croatia – No test required with proof of vaccine.
- Cyprus – Starting May 1, 2021, UK travelers will be exempt from testing and quarantine with proof of vaccine. Starting 10May21, vaccinated travelers from the US, EU, and others can enter.
- Democratic republic of Congo – No pre-arrival test required for travelers with proof of vaccination. Test on arrival and quarantine still required.
- Denmark –Denmark opened to fully vaccinated travelers from orange and yellow EU and Schengen countries plus Canada, United Kingdom and USA will be allowed to travel to Denmark. No testing or quarantine required.
- Ecuador – Exempt from testing with proof of two-dose vaccine.
- El Salvador – No quarantine. Travelers with proof of COVID-19 immunization are not required to present a negative COVID-19 test result for entry.
- Estonia – No quarantine or test required with proof of vaccine.
- France – Open to fully vaccinated non-EU citizens for tourism. Vaccinated travelers from the U.S. will be able to enter France for any reason. Our blog article has the full details.
- French Polynesia –Effective 01May21, immunized US travelers will be allowed entry with negative PCR test taken 3 days prior, complete online ETIS form (upload vaccination certificate), take antigen test on arrival and must self-test for COVID-19 on day four after arrival. 01Aug21, immunized US travelers do not need to self test on day four of arrival.
- Gabon – From June 15, the government plans to require international arrivals to take a PCR test upon arrival and undergo quarantine for 24-hours until they receive a negative test result. Vaccinated travelers will be exempted from the quarantine.
- Germany – U.S. travelers are allowed in with proof of Vaccine or proof that the passenger had COVID and has recovered.
- Gibraltar – Vaccinated travelers from some countries are exempt from testing/quarantine. More details can be found at https://www.visitgibraltar.gi/uploads/covid/Entry%20Requirements.jpg.
- Greece – U.S. persons can enter by completing the PLF form at least 24 hours prior to arrival and have a negative PCR test completed 72 hours prior to arrival or a vaccination card (showing all doses and having 14 days transpire since the last dose) – and are exempt from quarantine.
- Grenada – Effective May 1, 2021, persons providing proof of full vaccination will only be required to quarantine for up to 48 hours, pending a negative result from a PCR test administered on entry.
- Guam – No quarantine required for fully vaccinated passengers. Pre testing still required.
- Guatemala – No quarantine or test required with proof of vaccine.
- Haiti – Fully vaccinated travelers are exempt from the pre-arrival testing with proof of full vaccination.
- Honduras – Test still required but no quarantine required with proof of vaccine.
- Iceland – Pre-approval of vaccine proof allows you in. Testing still required and quarantine upon entry required until results come back.
- Ireland – Starting July 9, 20210 no mandatory hotel quarantine for travelers (and their dependents) with proof of vaccine. Pre-arrival test and self-quarantine at home still required.
- Israel – Passengers with Israeli vaccination or proof of COVID recovery, exempt from quarantine. Foreign passenger whom have been vaccinated in their country of origin are obliged to undergo a 14 days quarantine unless they perform an antibodies test upon arriving to Israel (must be reserved independently). In case the sample is positive – they can obtain an exemption from the Israeli MOH to be released from their quarantine.
- Italy – Open to U.S. and Canadian citizens for tourism. Must have one of the following: proof of vaccination, negative test, proof of recovery. Our blog has all the details.
- Jordan – Vaccinated travelers from Australia, Bahrain, Canada, China, the EU, Japan, KSA, Kuwait, Malaysia, Morocco, New Zealand, Oman, Qatar, Russia, South Korea, Taiwan, Tunis, Turkey, UAE, UK, United States are exempt from testing/quarantine.
- Kuwait – Vaccine required for entry. Travelers who have taken two doses of the COVID-19 vaccine in the previous 14 days or those who took just one dose five weeks ago will have to observe only seven days quarantine.
- Kyrgyzstan – No quarantine with proof of vaccine. Test on arrival required.
- Laos – No test or quarantine required with proof of vaccine.
- Latvia – No test or quarantine with proof of vaccine.
- Lebanon – Test still required but no quarantine with proof of vaccine.
- Lithuania – No test or quarantine required with proof of vaccine.
- Libya – Test still required but no quarantine with proof of vaccine.
- Maldives – No test but quarantine is once again required for vaccinated travelers…However, you are free to roam hotel/villa properties.
- Mali – No test required with proof of vaccine. Quarantine still required.
- Moldova – No test or quarantine required with proof of vaccine.
- Montenegro – No test or quarantine required with proof of vaccine.
- Montserrat – Vaccination certificates may be used instead of 72 hour prior COVID-19 testing. Fully vaccinated have a 5 day quarantine with testing on 3 or 4 day.
- Morocco – Starting June 15, Morocco will reopen to fully vaccinated travelers arriving via select commercial airline flights, with no test or quarantine requirements. Countries with high rates of COVID excluded. GA can only access for essential business purposes with preapproval.
- Netherlands – Effective 24 Jun 21, USA will be added to the Safe Countries/Regions List. Travelers, regardless of their nationalities, will be allowed to travel from the USA to the Netherlands without pre-arrival negative COVID-19 test and no need for quarantine.
- New Caledonia – Quarantine shortened from 14 days to 7 days with Pfizer or Moderna vaccine.
- North Mariana Islands – Verified fully vaccinated travelers will need to test upon arrival into the CNMI by sea or air, and will still be tested on the fifth day after arrival. Unvaccinated passenger will be quarantined in a Hybrid quarantine facility.
- Palau – Full vaccination required for entry. Test and quarantine still required.
- Panama – Exempt from testing with proof of vaccine.
- Philippines – Vaccinated Foreigners from green countries will have shortened quarantine and need to test after arrival.
- Poland – No quarantine required with proof of vaccine for countries on the “allowed” list – U.S. not included.
- Portugal – Crew are exempt from testing and quarantine with proof of vaccine. A Portuguese official has announced that the country plans on allowing fully-vaccinated U.S. tourists to enter as early as the week of June 14. Official details pending.
- Qatar – Vaccine required for entry. Individuals who have been vaccinated in Qatar are exempt from quarantine.
- Romania – No test on arrival or quarantine required with proof of vaccine.
- Saint Lucia – No test on arrival or quarantine required with proof of vaccine.
- Samoa – Vaccine required for entry. Testing and quarantine required.
- Saudi Arabia – Immunized travelers from certain countries (U.S. included) will not have to quarantine.
- Senegal – No quarantine required with proof of vaccination. Test required.
- Seychelles – No quarantine with proof of vaccination and negative test.
- Sierra Leone – No quarantine required with proof of vaccination. Test required.
- Slovak Republic – Travelers from the EU and Schengen region are not required to test or quarantine. U.S. not included.
- Slovenia – No quarantine required with proof of vaccine. Test still required. Note: U.S. citizens not permitted entry to Slovenia.
- Spain – Fully vaccinated travelers can enter Spain with no testing or quarantine. Except for South Africa, Brazil, India and anyone who has traveled to these countries in the past 14 days.
- Sri Lanka – Immunized travelers, with no travel history in Vietnam, India, S. Africa, will quarantine only one day until arrival PCR test result is known and will have to retest on day seven.
- St. Bart’s – Open for vaccinated travelers, with special approval arrangements through their accommodations (hotel or villa).
- Sweden – Pax don’t require quarantine with negative COVID-19 test. Crew have been exempt from COVID-19 test and quarantine. Testing/ Quarantine requirements for Vaccinated Pax may vary when you come from a restricted country. USA pax require pre-testing even if vaccinated.
- Switzerland – Vaccine required. Pre-arrival test required. No test on arrival or quarantine required with proof of vaccination.
- Tajikistan – No quarantine or test required with proof of vaccine. U.S. travelers not included.
- Thailand – Fully vaccinated international travellers will be allowed to enter Phuket without on-arrival quarantine requirements from July 01.
- Tunisia – No quarantine or test required with proof of vaccine or recovery.
- Turkmenistan –Vaccinated travelers with proof will have a 7 day quarantine period with proof of vaccination. All travelers are still required to be tested for COVID-19 on arrival regardless of vaccination status.
- Ukraine – No quarantine or test required with proof of vaccine.
- Uruguay – No test on arrival or quarantine required with proof of vaccine.
- Yemen – Exempt from quarantine with proof of vaccine.
- Zambia – Vaccinated travelers with a negative test result are exempt from quarantine requirements.
EU Digital Green Pass
Still waiting on how it may be extended to “low-risk” non-EU nationals.
IATA Travel Pass Initiative
More information on the pass can be viewed here.