Additional EU-ETS Aviation Resources
Articles and Other News
- NBAA Website Podcast, October 29, 2012: EU-ETS: Compliance in 2013 and Beyond.
- AIN Online, October 20, 2010: ETS reporting process remains a headache.
- AIN Online, October 1, 2010: Confusion reigns over ETS implementation in Europe.
- AIN Online, June 1, 2010: Europe likely to approve ETS Support Facility
- EBAA New Brief, 23 February 2010: "European Commission ETS Operator List Full of Inaccuracies… Again"
- Altitudes, February 2010: "Clearing the Smog Around EU-ETS"
- FlyCorporate Magazine, February 2010: "ETS Home Base"
- Aviation International News, January 2010: "EU extends deadline for ETS compliance plans"
- BART International Magazine, December 2009: "Everything You Always Wanted to Know About EU-ETS (But Didn't Know Who to Ask)"
- AIN Alerts, December 2009: "New EU Aviation Emissions Trading Scheme List Released"
- IBAC release “COUNTDOWN to CORSIA” guide for Business Aviation (October 20, 2017) | PDF
- Switzerland ETS Launches TKM Requirements – FAQ (Sept. 26, 2017) | PDF Switzerland Federal Office for the Environment Website
- UK Releases September 2017 Newsletter (Sept. 20, 2017) | PDF
- European Commission Releases Updated Operator List (February 20, 2017) | European Commission's Website
- European Commission Releases FAQ Guidance, EU-ETS: 2017-2018 (February 3, 2017) | PDF European Commission's Website
- UK Releases December 2016 Newsletter (December 22, 2016) | PDF
- EuroControl releases 2016 Update for Small Emitter's Tool (November 11, 2016) | EuroControl Website
- Post-2016 EU-ETS Review Underway (October 08, 2016) | European Commission's Website
- EBAA Provides Detail on "Historic Decision by ICAO" (October 07, 2016) | PDF
- EU Commission Welcomes ICAO Agreement for Aviation Emissions (October 07, 2016) | European Commission's Web Site
- Eurocontrol: Measuring, Monitoring, Mitigating (August 22, 2016) | Eurocontrol's Skyway No. 65 – Autumn/Winter 2016
- UK Releases January 2016 Newsletter (January 2016) | PDF
- New 2015 Annual Emissions Report Template Released (January 2016) | PDF
- New 2015 Small Emitters Tool released (26 December 2015) | PDF
- Cost of ETS Compliance Study Available for Operators until 01/08/2016 (December 2015) | PDF
- UK Releases Dec. 2015 Newsletter (December 2015) | PDF
- UK Releases June 2015 Newsletter (June 2015) | PDF
- UK Releases March 2015 Newsletter (March 2015) | PDF
- EC releases 2015 version of Aircraft Operator List (March 2015) | European Commission's Web site
- UK releases latest guidance for 2013-2014 reporting (December 22, 2014) | PDF
- European Commission FAQ for ETS period 2013-2016 (November 2014) | European Commission's Web site
- UK Releases Latest Newsletter (November 2014) | PDF
- UK Environment Agency releases October Newsletter (October 2014) | PDF
- UK Environment Agency provides clarity on new requirements (May 2014) | PDF
- EC Clarifies Requirements. Postpones 2013 Reporting Deadline. (February 14, 2014) | PDF
- French Competent Authority provides 2013 guidance (February 1, 2014) | PDF
- France releases guidance regarding 2013 reporting (December 30, 2013) | PDF
- Czech Republic comments on EC's Proposal (December 10, 2013) | PDF
- UK releases guidance on effects of EC proposal (November 19, 2013) | PDF
- EC responds to ICAO with new EU-ETS proposal (October 16, 2013) | European Commission's Web site
- EC welcomes ICAO agreement. Decision on EU-ETS coming (October 08, 2013) | European Commission's Web site
- EC releases new Prior Compliance List of Operators (August 13, 2013) | PDF
- EC and EU Parliament adjust carbon credit supply to boost market price (July 3, 2013)
- UK Environment Agency releases June newsletter (June 2013) | PDF
- Spanish Authority addresses Croatia's entry into the EU (June 2013) | PDF
- Further guidance regarding UK's Subsistence Fees (March 11, 2013) | PDF
- UK explains annual administrative fees (March 4, 2013) | PDF
- New EC Operators list released (January 29, 2013) | PDF
- Italy releases updated guidance for AOHA/Registry Account Application (February 2013) | PDF
- UK publishes simple "Stop the Clock" criteria for applicable flights (February 2013) | PDF
- Italy releases updated requirements for Registry Account application (January 2013) | PDF
- UK Releases Updated Guidance for Registry Account Application (January 2013) | PDF
- EBAA publishes FAQ on 'stop the clock' proposal (November 27, 2012) | PDF
- NBAA Welcomes Final Passage of EU-ETS Prohibition Act (November 27, 2012) | NBAA's Web site
- EC and EuroControl release new Small Emitters Tool for 2012 flights | XLS
- FAQ: EC Formally Proposes Removing International Legs from 2012 Reporting (November 20, 2012) | PDF
- Universal clarifies EC "Stopping the clock" memo for Operators (November 12, 2012) | PDF
- Stopping the clock of ETS and aviation emissions following last week's International Civil Aviation Organisation (ICAO) Council (November 12, 2012) | PDF
- Iceland releases PHASE III AEM Plan Template and Guidance (September, 2012) | PDF
- France issues second notice to assigned operators who failed to submit 2011 Emissions Report (August, 2012) | PDF
- France releases requirements and guidance for new Phase III AE Monitoring Plans (August, 2012) | PDF
- UK Helpdesk provides guide to Phase III AEM plan update (August, 2012) | PDF
- European Commission provides guidance document for updated EU-ETS Directive 2003/87/EC
(August, 2012) | PDF
- European Commission releases Update to EU-ETS Directive 2003/87/EC (July, 2012) | PDF
- EBAA: Eurocontrol makes new request for fuel burn data (July, 2012) | PDF
- New Monitoring Plans required for All Operators entering Phase 3 (2013-2020) – (UK Guidance attached)
(June, 2012) | PDF
- France allowing late 2011 AE Report submission. Deadline June 15, 2012. (May 14, 2012) | PDF
- UK Help Desk confirms Small Emitter Opt-Out Scheme does not apply to aviation (May 11, 2012) | PDF
- EUROCONTROL releases updated Small Emitters Tool for 2011 operations
(March 6, 2012) | EUROCONTROL's Web site
- European Commission releases latest operator list (February 14, 2012) | PDF
- European Court of Justice (ECJ) rules that the directive including aviation activities in the EU's emissions trading scheme is valid (December 21, 2011) | PDF
- European Commission releases updated Prior Compliance List
(October 31, 2011) | European Commission's Web site
- U.S. House Soundly Rejects European Emissions-Trading Scheme (October 25, 2011) | NBAA's Web site
- Spain releases its allocation of free allowances for TKM benchmark participants (October 21, 2011) | PDF
- Advocate General's Opinion on the EU-ETS' Legality (October 6, 2011) | PDF
- European Commission announces benchmark values for 2010 TKM participants
(September 26, 2011) | European Commission's Web site
- U.K. publishes levels of free allowance allocations for EU-ETS aviation operators
(September 26, 2011) | U.K. DECC's Web site
- Helpful hints for operators assigned to Germany for EU-ETS emissions reporting (September 8, 2011) | PDF
- Q&A with the Croatian Competent Authority regarding EU-ETS (September 8, 2011) | PDF
- Helpful hints for contacting the Greek authorities regarding aviation EU-ETS (August 24, 2011) | PDF
- U.S. Congressman Mica proposes bill in the House of Representatives to prohibit U.S. operators from participating in EU-ETS (July 20, 2011) | govtrack.us
- UK releases decision on questions posed in latest ETS Consultation (July 18, 2011) | PDF
- Eurocontrol requests actual jet-fuel data to improve its Small Emitters tool (June 17, 2011) | PDF
- New operator list includes assignment to EEA/EFTA countries: Iceland, Norway
(June 10, 2011) | PDF | European Commission's Web site
- Dutch Emissions Authority (NEA) extends 2011 aviation EU-ETS reporting deadline (March 31, 2011) | PDF
- Italy extends 2011 aviation EU-ETS reporting deadline (March 28, 2011) | PDF
- Updated Prior Compliance List released (March 22, 2011) | PDF
- The European Commission publishes updated AEM reporting templates [XLS] and
TKM reporting templates [XLS] to include EFTA (Norway, Liechtenstein, Iceland) countries (March 1, 2011)
- New EU-ETS Aircraft Operator List released (February 2, 2011) | PDF
- Request for consultation: How to address inconsistencies between monitoring plan and annual report for UK operators (December 2010) | PDF
- Next Prior-Compliance List Anticipated to be Released in November (October 28, 2010) | PDF
- European Commission Approves Auctioning Regulation, Releases FAQ Sheet (July 14, 2010) | PDF
- Information on Accreditation of ETS Third-Party Verifiers from the UK Accreditation Service (UKAS) | PDF
- EU-ETS update from BBGA (February 19, 2010) | PDF
- Notice on EU-ETS expansion to include Norway, Iceland, and Liechtenstein. | PDF
Approved EU-ETS third-party emissions data verifiers
- Austria will recognize UK-approved 3rd-party verifiers (updated February 2, 2011) | PDF
- Cyprus will recognize UK-approved 3rd-party verifiers (updated February 2, 2011) | PDF
- Malta will recognize UK-approved 3rd-party verifiers (updated January 19, 2011) | PDF
- The Czech Republic will recognize UK-approved 3rd-party verifiers; Reporting deadline moved to March 15
(updated January 19, 2011) | PDF
- Spain will recognize UK-approved 3rd-party verifiers; Reporting deadline moved to February 28
(updated January 19, 2011) | PDF
- Ireland-accredited verifiers (updated January 11, 2011) | PDF
- Portugal-accredited verifiers (updated January 5, 2011) | PDF
- Belgium will not use third-party verifiers through 2012 (updated November 23, 2010) | PDF
- UK-accredited verifiers (updated October 5, 2010) | PDF
This list is not complete, but will be updated regularly as new information becomes available.
- Implementing Aviation EU-ETS in the UK: A Government Consultation
- Understanding EU-ETS for Business Aviation: How will aviation EU-ETS impact your flight department?
- How to Complete the Tonne-Kilometre Report for EU-ETS CO2 Flight Emissions Benchmarking
- How to Complete Your Annual Aircraft EU-ETS CO2 Flight Emissions Report
- How to Calculate Aircraft Fuel Consumption Using Method A and Method B for your EU-ETS Reporting
Complete the optional Tonne-Kilometre monitoring plan
Why is this important?
The Tonne-Kilometre monitoring plan is required to register for the EU-ETS optional benchmarking scheme. If you have frequent operations to, from, and between EU Member States, Universal® recommends that you take part in the benchmarking scheme. This will allow you to receive carbon credits as free allowances for your annual emissions from 2012–2020.
- Download blank Tonne-Kilometre monitoring plan template | XLS
- View sample completed Tonne-Kilometre monitoring plan template | PDF
- View sample data-flow chart for benchmarking plan | PPTX
Important to note
- The initial optional benchmarking period for 2010 has closed. The next benchmark period will be for operations in the calendar year 2014 (except operators assigned to Croatia which will allow benchmarking for operations in 2012).
- A one-time Member State submission fee applies (varies by Member State)
- Third-party verification is required for your Tonne-Kilometre report.
- If you have few annual flights impacted by EU-ETS legislation, consider performing a cost-benefit analysis to determine if submitting the Tonne-Kilometre plan is right for your operation.
- The individual allocation for each operator is proportional to the (reported and verified) Tonne-Kilometres that were flown over the course of the benchmarking year.
ATTENTION: Universal does not store any data in connection with your use of the calculation tools it has developed to support your emissions-reporting obligations. It is your responsibility to retain all necessary emissions-reporting data for the time period required by each regulatory agency.
Read through Step 3a above before using these CO2-flight-emissions calculators.
Fuel Consumption Calculation — Method A:
|Weights entered in:|
|Enter fuel in tanks once fuel uplift for the flight is complete:||Enter fuel in tanks once fuel uplift for the next flight is complete:||Enter fuel uplift for that
Fuel consumed:TBD tonnes
Total CO2 emissions:TBD tonnes
Fuel Consumption Calculation — Method B:
|Weights entered in:|
|Enter fuel remaining in tanks at block-on at end of previous flight:||Enter fuel uplift for flight:||Enter fuel in tanks at block-on at end of flight:|
Fuel consumed:TBD tonnes
Total CO2 emissions:TBD tonnes
If using Method A, the initial reference point for determining the fuel consumption for the flight would be the measurement of fuel in the aircraft tank(s) immediately after the fuel uplift of fuel for the flight. After landing at the destination, the final reference point for calculating the fuel consumption for the flight would be the measurement of fuel in the aircraft tank(s) immediately after the uplift of fuel for the next flight. The fuel tank measurement after the fuel uplift for the next flight is the sum of the uplift plus what was remaining in the tank(s) after the flight. So the fuel consumption is the difference in the tank readings plus the fuel uplift for the next flight.
If using Method B, the fuel tank reading reference points are different in that they are taken at block on at the end of flight rather than at the end of fuel uplifts.
Need some help?
Universal has the answers and solutions to help ensure your EU-ETS compliance.